Presenter: Dr Lefteris Patlamazoglou
Recorded: 2nd October 2019
Webinar Overview: Working with Migrants and Refugees Experiencing Grief
This webinar will explore the experiences of migrants, refugees, and international students, as well as the impact of migratory grief and associated bereavement on the process of migration and cultural adjustment. Evidence-based implications for counselling and psychological practice and professional support will be discussed and suggestions for further research will be noted. The webinar will draw upon recent findings of the relevant research, clinical experience, and existing literature. Topics including disenfranchised grief; migration; refugees; asylum seekers; and resettlement, rehabilitation, and relocation will be discussed.
This webinar is appropriate for practitioners and students at all levels of expertise.
At the end of this webinar, participants should be able to:
- Develop a strong understanding of migratory grief.
- Improve their awareness of the impact of bereavement due to migration on general wellbeing and coping.
- Acquire evidence-based techniques that maximise the effect of work with migrants and refugees, and their families and friends.
- Enhance their sensitivity toward the experiences of migrants in order to improve their counselling, clinical and general professional practice.
- Be able to describe the factors that contribute to disenfranchised grief and its impact on bereavement.
- Be able to identify the latest research findings and suggestions for further investigation in the area of migratory grief.
Presenter Bio: Dr Lefteris Patlamazoglou
Lefteris Patlamazoglou is a registered psychologist with experience in the areas of grief and bereavement. He has worked extensively with clients with a variety of mental health, migration, and fertility issues, as well as court-ordered parents and their children. Lefteris is also a lecturer of online, on-campus, and offshore postgraduate counselling and psychology subjects at Monash University. He is an experienced researcher and presenter with particular interest in understanding the bereavement of intimate partners, its impact on romantic relationships, disenfranchised grief, migratory grief, and issues related to diverse genders, sexes, and sexualities.
Discounted member price:
You could save: